Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

My Honda CRV's bonnet catch failed while sriving causing bonnet

My Honda CRV's bonnet catch failed while sriving causing bonnet to smash windscreen and blind sight the driver. I note that there have been numerous recorded episodes in the USA affecting 10 year old CRVs. Do you know of any UK reports?
Category: Car
Expert:  Ross replied 2 years ago.
Ross :

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I am a licensed Honda diagnostic and repair technician, I look forward to working with you.

Having worked with Honda for several years, I have never come across this as a "known fault" on any UK models. The mechanism on these are generally very good, with a secondary catch for safety it actually makes it quite difficult to fail in this way. Clearly it's far from impossible though! From my experience over the years working on these its more than likely a result of work carried out on the front slam panel. The bonnet catch is removed to gain access to repair and replace various items at the front of the engine and if the catch is not correctly set up and refitted it is possible for it release the bonnet by its self.

The only other reason for this to happen is when the cable from the drivers side release handle to the release mechanism is sticking, often a small bump will then pop the bonnet open. Even then the bonnet should not come up as its on the safety catch but this is not nearly as reliable as the main lock.

Ross :

If you would like to send me your VIN Number I will be happy to enter this onto the Honda system to see if there any known issues with your particular vehicle, but I can confirm there are no recalls, or service bulletins relating to this for your model.

Ross :

I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service. Thank you, Ross.

Expert:  Ross replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.