Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

HI Mike, I have a 2004 4.4 Petrol Range Rover (lwned for 8

HI Mike, I have a 2004 4.4 Petrol Range Rover (lwned for 8 years) and it overheated for the first time two weeks ago. The expansion tank split. I have taken the car to a main dealer and they say the water pump is fine and it now needs a new engine. Quoted me over £6k for the block alone. I cannot believe the engine is at fault. It has only done 90,000 in total. Thoughts please! Best Regards David
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

if the tank split then its very likely to be generating combustion gas into the water system

so the 'easy' solution as far as the dealer is concerned

I'd suggest the 1st thing to do is try is a head gasket / block test kit as these take a coolant sample and analyse it for any signs of combustion gas - if present this would indicate the head gasket is on its way out

http://www.uktools.com/block-tester-p-12508.html

If it is gassing up then its likely to be a cylinder head gasket and these can be repaired

as a temporary fix ( that often lasts several thousand miles) it would be worth trying
this stuff:

http://www.kseal.com/uk/head-gasket-failure-and-repair/
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Apologies - I hit the wrong key! how do I correct this please??

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The service was excellent! I was trying to hit the fifth star and had not realised this was showing a "Bad Rating". Far from it the service was excellent and hence would use this service again. Apologies for the incorrect rating.

Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
Hello David

thanks for the comment, just need you rate my answer and we're done:

You can give your rating by selecting one of the five faces located under each answer. Giving a positive rating compensates the Expert for their time with you.
Please remember that your Expert will not be paid until you leave a positive rating for the answer