Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

hi i have a 1.9 diesel with starting problem glow plug light

hi i have a 1.9 diesel with starting problem glow plug light will not come on when ignition on have pull out black control box near battery and refit it then it will come on and start may last a couple of days with doing it any sugestgionsroy
Category: Car
Expert:  Ross replied 2 years ago.
Ross :

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I am a licensed diagnostic and repair technician, I look forward to working with you.

Ross :

I believe the control unit you are referring to near the battery is the glow plug control unit, which would make perfect sense. Have you checked the condition of the connections to this on the plug?

Customer:

hi ross I will try that thanks roy

Ross :

No problem, make sure the pins are clean and shiny, if not they can be cleaned with wet and dry paper and a spray of WD40. If they are all looking good this is almost certainly a problem with the control unit its self. They are fairly common failures and suffer from dry solder joints and moisture getting in over the years, usually giving it a light tap will kick it into life but it will eventually give up so its best to replace it sooner rather than later. No programming is necessary on these control units so if you source a second hand or new part, its a simple case of plug and play!

Ross :

I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service. Thank you, Ross.

Expert:  Ross replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.