Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

hi there my 2005 grand sceinic automatic gearbox keeps jolting

hi there my 2005 grand sceinic automatic gearbox keeps jolting to a lower gear and says electrical fault.this clears when i turn it on and of again.would you have an answer to what this could be and a cost please.chris
Category: Car
Expert:  Ross replied 2 years ago.
Ross :

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I am a licensed diagnostic and repair technician, I look forward to working with you.

Customer:

thank you do you know what this could be please

Ross :

It sounds like it may be the selector position sensor, naturally with modern electronics its difficult to guess at these things but based on experience with these the selector position sensor is one of the most common problems on many auto gearboxes as well as these models and will cause this to happen, it could also be a solenoid within the gearbox.

Ideally you need to get the car to a garage or mobile mechanic with a diagnostic system than can carry out a fault code scan, this will pinpoint the component that is causing this to happen, you can expect to pay around £20 - £40 for this depending on where you go, and up to £100 for a main dealer, but any good garage can do this.

The position sensor isn't too expensive and reasonably simple to fix, the solenoids are a much bigger job but shouldn't need to remove the gearbox to do it which is good news.