Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

Hi The car I recently bought from a dealer makes a knocking/chugging

The car I recently bought from a dealer makes a knocking/chugging noise which u can feel through the pedals. The dealer said it's because there is a bulge in one of the front tyres. Can that really cause such a loud noise? I am suspicious because this morning it got worse and I have lost some acceleration.
Category: Car
Expert:  Ross replied 2 years ago.
Ross :

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I am a licensed diagnostic and repair technician, I look forward to working with you.

Customer:

Hi Ross, what do you think?

Ross :

Based on what you say i'm not entirely convinced the budge in the tyre will cause the problem you describe, it certainly wouldn't cause loss of acceleration (unless the tyre was completely flat of course but noises are not the easiest thing to diagnose online!

Ross :

A bulge will usually cause a bit of a hollow thud or flapping type noise, you will feel it through the car, and depending on how big it is, it can actually cause the whole car to wobble.

Ross :

Does the noise increase and decrease with your road speed?

Customer:

Yes, but not consistently. sometimes it's worse than others.

Ross :

Ok. Its quite possible the tyre is causing the noise but It wont be linked to the lack of acceleration. My best advice at this point would be to get the tyre changed to see if it improves. A defective tyre is very dangerous and of course illegal, so this needs to be replaced regardless, once this is done we will have a better idea of whats going on. I suspect it may well be the bulge causing the noise as it would make sense.

Customer:

Ok, thanks for your advice