Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

hi, i have a skoda 1.2 petrol, it stalls at lights etc, revs

hi, i have a skoda 1.2 petrol, it stalls at lights etc, revs drop . once turned off it restarts but can do it agian quickly or not for a while. engine management light comes on. took to garage and said number 2 coil pack needed changing, they did this, but youve guessed it still has the problem. i had the throttle body replaced after i cleaned it out and that did not work. reading up some say it may be the air feed vacuum pipe or the mass air flow meter, but i dont believe this model has one. i dont want to keep throwing cash away, it is an 05 plate low miles, heeeeeeeeeeelp
Category: Car
Expert:  Ross replied 2 years ago.
Ross :

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I am a licensed diagnostic and repair technician, I look forward to working with you.

Do you know if yours is the 12 valve or 6 valve engine?

Customer:

haha, 6valve i believe

Customer:

Mick

Customer:

BMD engine code

Ross :

Brilliant, yes that's the 6v engine.

There is no MAF sensor, just out of interested, did the garage carry out the throttle body adaptations after installation?

Customer:

adaptations? don,t understand, i suggested to them to replace it, they did it, a new part, answers may be slow as it is an older persons car, i believe the fault code shows as coil pack 2 again, it clears but then.

Ross :

Ok, after the throttle body is fitted they should calibrate it using diagnostics, the throttle body needs to learn its basic settings to prevent over or under revving.

Customer:

i could not answer that, they did the job and she picked it up, this was a few months ago, it ran ok for a while and has started its old tricks

Ross :

I think it is more likley to be the MAP sensor or a vacuum leak but the fact there is a code for a coil pack is very suspicious to me.

When the coil pack was replaced, did this cure the problem for any length of time?

Customer:

is the MAF or MAP sensor different? where is it or the vacuum leak. it happened once in a week or so, now it has become more common

Ross :

The MAP is Manifold absolute pressure, this is used instead of MAF on these engines, its a small sensor that is bolted to the intake manifold. These can cause this to happen, otherwise I would certainly rule out any vac leaks. A small split in any of the vac lines can cause this to happen and the engine will try to correct it which would explain why it may intermittent until the point where too much air is being pulled in. A common place for these to leak is between the manifold and brake booster, its a black plastic pipe that tends to split, also the line to the EVAP (Evaporative emissions valve) also tends to leak.

Customer:

Ross, so would yousuggest changing these, they dont appear too expensive, i would only buy genuine parts. would you rule out the e.c.u? what are your professional thoughts.

Ross :

an ECU Fault is possible, but unlikely due to the symptoms you have, this would certainly not be something I would be too worried about at this point. My best advice would be to get the vacuum pipes thoroughly checked and replaced if necessary, if there are no signs of leaks then move onto the MAP Sensor, its not an expensive part thankfully. It may be worth taking the car to get it plugged into a good diagnostic system first which can record the engines sensors while its running, this can often help pinpoint problems very easily, although it costs a bit more it can save a lot in the long run.

Customer:

ok, thanks and i will try and get the pipes, are they main dealer only?, thanks

Ross :

The complete pipe is main dealer only, but its usually the ends that split and can be repaired with a joiner pipe if it's just the very end

Customer:

purchased a MAP sensor earlier, pick up tomorrow, siemens, £52, just want the pipes

Customer:

ok, thanks again, shall see what happens, regards, Mick

Ross :

No problem! I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service. Thank you, Ross.

Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience: Licensed diagnostic and repair technician