Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician

My Skoda octavia was hit by a lorry and is currently being

My Skoda octavia was hit by a lorry and is currently being repaired. It is taking quite a while. The estimator seems very nice but is a bit vague. He has mentioned that there was a chipped tooth on the steering rack and they have had to put a new rack in. From talking to the reception they have also put on a new front bumper cover, new engine support, new assembly support, repaired bearing housing, new break disc and repaired L drive shaft. The car was hit pretty hard so it all sounds pretty reasonable, however I have lost confidence in the garage after they had given me so few updates on the repairs.
Would you be able to advise what problems I need to be aware of that can happen after a repair like this. Presumably when I pick it up they will provide me with printout of steering alignment tests..etc?
Category: Car
Expert:  Ross replied 1 year ago.
Ross :

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I am a licensed diagnostic and repair technician, I look forward to working with you.

Ross :

Clearly a fair amount of mechanical damage has been sustained as well as cosmetic so there is more potential for things not to be right, the fact its being repaired and not written off means that there should be no reason it won't be just as good as it was before.

With the steering repairs it will need full four wheel alignment, and as you say you should expect to see a print out of this but you may need to request this from the repairer.

The problems you need to look out for come in two forms, firstly is the quality of the cosmetic repair, this is fairly obvious, ensuring the panels match up, the paint finish is of good standard and there are no ripples in any metal panels. secondly is the mechanical repair, you need to simply drive the car as normal, make sure it drives in a straight line without any pulling or drifting to one side, ensure the steering feels positive and there are no unusual knocks or rattles. Also ensure the brakes don't pull to one side, other than this there is not much else you can do other than drive it normally, you will know what feels normal for your car, and it should feel exactly as it did before.

Ross :

I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service. Thank you, Ross.

Many thanks.

Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience: Licensed diagnostic and repair technician