Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

My wife has a 7 year old Skoda Fabia 1 Htp 60. Recently the

My wife has a 7 year old Skoda Fabia 1 Htp 60. Recently the front electric windows stopped working. Investigation by our local garage proved no fuse blown or broken wiring at the doors. Main dealer ran a diagnostic check and eventually sent a DIS report to Skoda for advice. Advice was TRY replacing passenger door control module which I was assured controlled both sides of car. This worked OK but 10 days later windows stopped working. Further investigation resulted in replacement of drivers door module. Windows now working again. Having read very many adverse comments on the internet about Skoda window problems my question is. Is it likely that two components would fail within 10 days of each other? This seems highly unlikely to me and in view of all the Skoda window problems leaves me feeling a bit cheated and £500 out of pocket. The garage refuses to budge on this point and being non technical I do not know any different. Skoda claim they are not aware of a significant number of window queries. You would think by now they would have got to grips with the base cause. A F Niven
Category: Car
Expert:  Ross replied 2 years ago.
Ross :

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I am a licensed diagnostic and repair technician, I look forward to working with you.

Ross :

This is quite interesting as I have had several of these models around this age now come in needing new door modules. I have never had one come back with the same problem once replaced though. From my experience it is nearly always the door module to blame, and in your case it certainly does look like the door module is also to blame the second time but as for why its only lasted 10 days is a bit strange.

As the unit failed within 10 days, have you spoken to the garage about having this replacement module replaced under warranty?

Customer:

Sorry perhaps I did not make it clear. They replaced the door module on the passenger side and then 10 days later the module on the drivers side. This suggested to me there may have been nothing wrong with the passenger door one in the first place as we were told it controlled both doors. The car has a history of windows opening overnight for no reason

Ross :

Ah ok i see. You may be correct in saying there was nothing wrong with the first control unit they replaced. The opening of the windows was likely to be due to the fault in the controller.

Ross :

I'm just looking now to see if Skoda released a service bulletin for this problem for your model.

Customer:

Ross :

There is no bulletin for this but it does look like they have revised the part, it doesn't say what they changed but the part numbers changed on my system so this may have been to cure a known issue, i know where it sits gives it the potential to get wet where rain water drips down into the door so this may have been a contributing factor.

Customer:

Part numbers were

Customer:

Passenger door K6Y1959802SK3 585762/WIND.MOT.

Customer:

Drivers door

Customer:

Drivers Door K6Y1959801SK6 WIND.MOT When we took it in the second time we assured the garage no windows were working using the controls on both doors. They said the passenger door (which had the module replaced first) was working. Either they are saying we lied or miraculously the 'new' part started working again.

Ross :

Ok, well the good news is these are the latest revisions of the part. I think possibly the garage is trying to cover up their poor diagnostic skills, i think they took a bit of a guess when replacing the first unit but unfortunately its very difficult to prove this, and much harder to get them to admit it

Ross :

It is unlikely that both units failed so close together, but at the same time they are a common failure so it is possible.

Customer:

Thanks Ross, You may have wondered why I put the word TRY in my first query. This was what SKODA suggested the garage try to rectify the problem. This suggests they didn't know. When I first gave them the car they told me this would cost a minimum of £108 for a diagnostic check. They also hoped to cure the problem within this price. I did not get a copy of this diagnostic check nor was I charged for it. Should this check have shown exactly where the fault was located, in other words which door module?

Ross :

A diagnostic check on these modules should indicate the fault, whether it be a fault code stored or the central control unit indicating loss of communication with the door module.

Customer:

So what does that mean? If they did the check correctly then they should have known where the fault was without referring to SKODA. You will forgive me if I am puzzled and cannot help but feel I am being ripped off because something is not all that it seems.

Ross :

It looks like they made an assumption, without fully diagnosing the fault. Maybe their diagnostic system didn't pickup the fault so they assumed it was the first control unit they replaced without carrying out physical tests to see if it was getting power etc.. Despite what the diagnostics say, its good practice to test the unit, if it has power getting to it, and command from the switch, but no power out to the motor it would confirm whether it was actually that control unit

Customer:

Many thanks Ross,

Customer:

Many thanks Ross, I will never be able to prove things one way or the other although I have my views. I notice on one occasion you refer to the central control unit (the computer) and makes me tend towards another opinion, namely it could all be related to a software problem, but that is another story. Very many thanks for your help. No need to reply.