Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician

Why does my proton impian keep stalling after having a new

Why does my proton impian keep stalling after having a new battery fitted
Category: Car
Expert:  Ross replied 1 year ago.
Ross :

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I am a licensed diagnostic and repair technician, I look forward to working with you.

Ross :

Just to confirm, is this happening as a direct result of the battery being changed?

Yes the car was running fine beforehand. The last time I changed the battery the same thing happened. The AA man took out the air filter and shook it and sprayed something into the outlet and it worked fine. I have tried shaking out the air filter but it hasn't helped this time. The engine only cuts out when its warm not just after starting up.

Expert:  Ross replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Ross replied 1 year ago.
Ok, this is actually (sort of) normal, the throttle body idle air control has whats called "basic settings" It needs to learn it's settings after the battery is disconnected. Now this is usually done by letting the car idle for 10 mins while it re-learns it's basic idle settings. Under normal circumstances the revs may be a bit high or a bit low, it shouldn't cut out, but with use, the throttle body and idle air control valve will tend to build up carbon inside, which I suspect is causing an air flow restriction, this will not only cause it to stall, it makes it more difficult to learn its basic settings again which may be why it's still cutting out.

When the AA Sprayed cleaner into the intake, this will have helped move a bit of the carbon out of the valve, and no doubt they left it running at idle for a while to give it a chance to re-learn.

You should be able to correct this fairly easily your self, If your confident with basic repairs, you can remove and clean the idle air valve/ throttle body, this is a longer lasting repair. If your not confident doing this, most good car parts stores will sell carb/throttle body cleaner, this is a spray can which you simply raise the engine RPM to fast idle (2500RPM) and spray the entire can into the engine, the engine will be lumpy and wont like it much but it works wonders in the long run! Once this is done, disconnect the battery again, wait approx 5 mins, reconnect, then start and let the engine idle for at least 10 mins. Switch off, then you can drive as normal, you should then find the idle is back to normal and stalling problem has stopped. If you choose to remove and clean the parts, the same re-setting procedure applies.

I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service. Thank you, Ross.
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience: Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will try this tomorrow or Thursday and let you know how I get on.