Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

Hi, we have a 06 plate Saab 93 1.9 Tid vector sport sportwagen.

Hi, we have a 06 plate Saab 93 1.9 Tid vector sport sportwagen. In very good condition and only 63K on the clock. The problem is its power steering. about 18months ago we lost all electrics and had repairs done to the alternator plus a new battery. Since this and only intermittently does the power steering decide not to turn on when the engine is first struck up. Their is no pattern to this it can be hot/cold day or during the day when the car has been used. No warnings appear on the dashboard and all other electrics like heater/lights etc. still work as normal. After several attempts at restarting this then rectifies itself.
I've checked several sites and they appear to suggest that the electrical connectors be checked for corrosion and the contact and pins.
Please advise if in your experience this seems the right route to go down?
Mrs Troth
Email: *****@******.***
Category: Car
Expert:  Ross replied 2 years ago.
Ross :

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I am a licensed diagnostic and repair technician, I look forward to working with you.

Ross :

This sounds one of two possible problems, firstly i think what you have been told is correct, corrosion on the terminals will cause high resistance which can cause all sorts of problems and this is a fairly common problem due to the parts being fairly exposed to the elements.

Another thing to check will be the alternator, i know you say it has had repairs carried out to this some time ago but alternators sometimes wont kick in to begin charging as they should which will also cause this.

Customer:

Thank you Ross.

Customer:

We will get the vehicle booked in and advise them to check these areas.

Ross :

I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service. Thank you, Ross.