Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a Range Rover Sport TDV6 2008. I have just completed

Customer Question

I have a Range Rover Sport TDV6 2008. I have just completed a 1800mile trip to Austria from the UK no problems. Went to fill car with fuel this morning, when i took the key out of the ignition. The hazard lights flashed, fan switches on and off, all the door lock and unlock. Parking break fault, engine fault light appears, warning light comes on. After about 30 seconds I put the ignition key back in and turn the engine on all problems go. I have ended up disconnecting the positive terminal from the battery, so the battery does not go flat. The following morning reconnected the battery, the cat works as normal. I drove 150miles got to my destination. Same issues appeared again.
Category: Car
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
,
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like to close your question?
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

this sounds like a lack of electrical power to me

1st check that the alternator is actually charging the battery in the car by taking a battery voltage reading with the engine off then another with the engine running. The 2nd reading should be higher than the 1st and climbing steadily. And also check that the alternator is secure to the engine as this provides the ground charging circuit and make sure that the engine / gearbox earth strap is secure and the contacts are clean and bright.

if the alternator appears not to be working - take it to a electrical specialist and ask them to test it as sometimes you can replace just the diode pack and this will repair the alternator without requiring replacement

And one last thing is – how old is the battery? – As even good quality ones need replacing every 5 years and faulty battery just won’t hold a charge

Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

do you still need help with this?