Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

I have an 'S' type Jaguar, and after having a Temperature Sensor

I have an 'S' type Jaguar, and after having a Temperature Sensor changed, I started to get warning signals on make dashboard consul. I was told that the best thing to do was to disconnect the battery, and leave it overnight to stabilise the system. This I did, leaving the battery disconnected, closed the boot, locked the car, and left it overnight. Problem I have now is that I cannot open the boot, to get to the battery, because there are no electrics. Could you please advise.
Category: Car
Expert:  Ross replied 2 years ago.
Ross :

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I am a licensed diagnostic and repair technician, I look forward to working with you.

Ross :

Starting with the most obvious, i know you have already looked for a manual release, have you looked up next to the boot release handle to see if there is a hidden key barrel? Some had this and some didn't.

Customer:

I have just checked, but found nothing obvious. Next to the boot release button is the fuel filler door release. Below these two buttons is the coin tray, and below that is manual Bonnet release lever.

Ross :

Ok, your going to need to power up the car using a battery charger or jump pack. Do you have either of these available ?

Customer:

I can borrow one, but will need to know where I can connect it.

Ross :

Ok, the easiest way is to power up via the cigarette lighter. You can pop the cigarette lighter out to access the connector to the back of it. There will be two wires, one positive and one negative, i'm not sure of the colours off hand but there is usually one back or brown, and one with red on it. You will need to connect the charger to this, the black or brown will be negative, the other positive. It will need to be a fairly powerful charger to activate the lock release, (6 amps minimum) otherwise a jump pack is recommended. If you need help identifying the wiring colours please come back to me and let me know what the colours are, connecting the charger or jump pack to the wrong wires can cause serious damage.

Ross :

Alternatively, you can also connect to the back of the fuse box under the dash, finding the thick red wire which is the main feed, then finding any good earth location for the negative.