Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

r reg1.9 deisol Passat hard to start when cold.Once started

r reg1.9 deisol Passat hard to start when cold.Once started ok,feels quite responsive while driving, lots of grey smok.e and a whistling noise from the exhaust.Recently had secondhand injection pump fitted.
Category: Car
Expert:  Ross replied 2 years ago.
Ross :

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I am a licensed diagnostic and repair technician, I look forward to working with you.

Customer:

hello ross looking forword to your diognosis

Ross :

Just to confirm, were the glow plugs removed and tested?

Customer:

removed and replaced

Ross :

Ok great. This whistling noise I suspect could either be the turbocharger its self or a boost leak. There may be a small air leak somewhere which not only will cause the noise but it will cause the smoke due to excessive fueling. As you say it's from the exhaust it could well be the turbocharger so I would get this checked soon. Again, a worn turbo will either not supply enough pressure, causing smoke, or will leak oil past the seals which again, will cause smoke.

Customer:

excuse me what is a boost leek.all hose clips were replaced and tightened

Ross :

a boost leak is an air leak after the turbo outlet and intake manifold. all pipes, clamps and intercooler need to be inspected to rule out a boost leak. Although the clips can come loose, its usually caused by a small split in a pipe, or a stone chip in the intercooler.

Customer:

hi sorry had to go out origal fault driving on motorway sudden pop smoke out exhaust complete loss of power ,hence secondhand injection pump.When my daughter came up for holidays same thing, this time car managed to keep going ,did it a few times.Last time sudden pop cloud of grey smoke only car pickedup and kept going still going

Ross :

This actually sounds very much like something I have seen a few times on these.

The turbocharger inlet pipe - This goes from the air filter, via the MAF Sensor and onto the front of the turbo air intake, if this pipe comes loose it whistles and will cause the smoke and power output, as the turbo picks up speed it sucks the pipe back in place and returns to normal. as this happens it will smoke as the air/fuel mixture is suddenly changed. Where the pipe joins the turbo inlet is where I have seen this, but the split could be anywhere on the intake. This is often missed as people tend to look at the boost pipes but don't check the intake

Customer:

thank you very much ross can I get in touch again to let you know how I get on

Ross :

Yes of course, you can come back here if you need any further help or have further questions. Just reply and i will get back to you ASAP.

Customer:

thanks