Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

I bought a mini from a dealer a month ago and as soon as he

Customer Question

I bought a mini from a dealer a month ago and as soon as he delivered it the speedo stopped working and is now stuck on 150mph. I reported this straight away and he said he would fix it under his warranty. He has now said that he will pay upto £350 to fix this problem but no more. Should there be an upper limit on getting it fixed? How much should i expect to pay to have this fixed? What is the worst case scenario? I paid £2495 for a 2003 diesel car with 131,000 miles on the clock. Is it a problem driving around without the speedo working, other than the obvious fact that i cant tell the speed other than from the sat nav? Also will it be worth having it mended? Thank you for your help
Category: Car
Expert:  Ross replied 1 year ago.
Ross :

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I am a licensed diagnostic and repair technician, I look forward to working with you.

JACUSTOMER-6mxx9hv9- :

Hi, what do you think?

Ross :

The warranty will vary deepening on what type it is, you will need to refer to your warranty booklet which you should have been given when you purchased the car to find out what is covered and how much they will put towards it.

Ross :

However, you legally have 6 months cover as per sales of goods act. So the vehicle should be and remain in working condition during this period.

JACUSTOMER-6mxx9hv9- :

He didnt give me a warranty booklet, just told me i had the inhouse warranty. I want to know how much work it is and if its worth doing? And most importantly should i be driving the car without the speedo working?

Ross :

Ok, strictly speaking the car should not be used with a defective speedometer. Although it is not a testable item on an MOT Test, in the event of an accident if the insurance or police discovered it was defective this would have a large effect on proceedings. Use of a GPS Speedometer on a sat nav or mobile device is adequate in the short term.

The cost of the repair will vary depending on exasctly what has gone wrong, It sounds like the speedometer its self is faulty and so would need a new part. This will be very expensive from BMW Mini new, however the dealer can replace with a second hand unit much cheaper.

The legal side of this is not so much my area, but it is something as a dealer and mechanic my self i have a good understanding of. As per the sales of goods act, the vehicle must be in good working order and usable within the 6 months after sale. (for specific details legal advice would be needed) but ultimately he should fix this for you regardless of what the warranty offers.

Ross :

The in house warranty will have a limited covering of electrical items, and will not cover any wear and tear items, this is NOT a wear and tear item

JACUSTOMER-6mxx9hv9- :

The question was how much would i expect to pay to have it fixed? I wouldnt go to a main BMW dealer

Ross :

The speedometer it's self can be purchased for as little as £20 on online auction sites and expect to pay £50 from a breaker yard. It will take around 1 hour to fit the part which on average is £60 per hour. So Just over £100 is about correct.

JACUSTOMER-6mxx9hv9- :

Someone said it could be the ABS? which is obviously more serious...how much is that?

Ross :

Its highly unlikely to be the ABS, that could cause the speedometer to read 0 all the time, but it would also bring the ABS warning light on, as well as traction control light (if fitted) Worst case, if it was ABS and required a road wheel speed sensor, this part is about £70 new and again an hour to fit.

JACUSTOMER-6mxx9hv9- :

the speedo is reading 150mph most of the time, moving occassionally. Another light came on the other day but went off and the traction control light comes on if there is a problem so hopefully this is alright...where are you based? I need someone to do the work, i live near Shaftesbury and work in Bath

Ross :

I'm based in Cornwall so a little far away unfortunately. It does sound like the speedometer it's self is the problem.

JACUSTOMER-6mxx9hv9- :

Ive looked on ebay and you certainly cant get anything for £20.00! I will wait and see what the local garage says...i hope its not too much of a problem!!

Ross :

It depends on which model of speedometer you have, the later type is a little more expensive but an example is: - ebay item number 161521839762

JACUSTOMER-6mxx9hv9- :

that one is for a petrol car, mine is diesel

JACUSTOMER-6mxx9hv9- :

you have disconnected....

Ross :

sorry, 281545235436 this should be the one providing it looks the same style as yours

Ross :

It is a little bit more but its pot luck what comes up for sale, the BMW Part is £286 according to my system, plus the parts dealer will add a percentage to it.

JACUSTOMER-6mxx9hv9- :

it does look the same but how does it gets configured to my mileage?

Ross :

It gets plugged in using a diagnostic system to program the new millage. Most garages include this in the price.

JACUSTOMER-6mxx9hv9- :

so is it worth buying now before the garage looks at it? so i have the part

Ross :

I would either give them a call or pop in and explain the situation to make sure they can do it and are happy with fitting the part, then order before you book an appointment.

JACUSTOMER-6mxx9hv9- :

Ross :

No problem good luck getting it fixed! I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service. Thank you, Ross.