Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

I have an Octavia VRS TDi estate, with a 61Ah battery giving

I have an Octavia VRS TDi estate, with a 61Ah battery giving starting problems. All battery supplier sites suggest an 096 type battery for this car, but it's 35mm longer than the original item. Can I adapt the battery tray to take the larger battery please?
Category: Car
Expert:  Ross replied 2 years ago.
Ross :

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I am a licensed diagnostic and repair technician, I look forward to working with you.

Customer:

Hi Ross, I would like advice regarding installing a larger battery (type 096) in my Skoda Octavia VRSTDi.

Ross :

No problem.

Ross :

I'm trying to think off hand, I think the larger battery should fit into the original battery tray, If not. there is no reason why it cannot be modified slightly. Its plastic and can have one ends cut off using a small hacksaw to allow the battery of over hang on the tray slightly.

Customer:

Thanks Ross. I do believe that the new battery will physically fit the space available, but the cover will need to be discarded. Do you envisage any problem with this or any other issue re cable runs, etc.?

Ross :

No the cables should fit without any problems. The cover can be removed if it wont fit, that wont cause any problems.

Customer:

Thank you. I'll give it a go! Can I come back if I experience further difficulty?

Ross :

Yes no problem, come back any time I will be happy to continue my help!