Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

saab 900 I have a noise something like a tubo noise comeing

saab 900 I have a noise something like a tubo noise comeing from the engine while I am driving. But not a turbo noise.
Category: Car
Expert:  Ross replied 2 years ago.
Ross :

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I am a licensed diagnostic and repair technician, I look forward to working with you.

Ross :

Is this noise happening at any specific time such as during acceleration etc..?

Customer:

Yes

Customer:

I was wondering if something was comming loose.

Ross :

Ok, just to confirm, this is the turbo model?

Customer:

NO at the moment it sound just like a turbo noise

Ross :

Ah ok. very odd! If this happens when you accelerate I would start by checking the air intake pipes are tight and secure and that the air filter box is secure.

Customer:

i will check them now

Ross :

Ok, just pop back here when your ready. I will get back to you.

Customer:

i have checked all ok under the bonnet but revving up it sounds like a pulley might be the problen on the belt.

Ross :

Right ok, that was my next suggestion as the idlers and driven components can make a whining/whoosh type of noise that increase with engine RPM. You can try spraying a little bit of WD40 on each pulley to see if the noise changes to help identify which one, I would imagine one of the bearings have gone noisy. The next step would be to remove the auxiliary belt and start the engine to see if the noise has gone, if it is still there, it could be the timing chain tensioner or chain guides which would need to be looked at ASAP.

Customer:

Thanks Ross i will finnish there and i will get it checked and i also will try the wd40.