Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

I've a Nov 05 mini cooper S. 92k miles. When I start up the

I've a Nov 05 mini cooper S. 92k miles. When I start up the car the lights come on and stay on although the lights are switched off. Sometimes they dont come on immediately but within a few minutes they switch themselves on. Any ideas where the problem is? They work perfectly well when I switch them on myself. Cheers. Bonnie Mabley
Category: Car
Expert:  Ross replied 2 years ago.
Ross :

Hi bonnie, thanks for trusting me to help you today. I am a licensed diagnostic and repair technician, I look forward to working with you.

Ross :

Does your model have automatic head lights?

Customer:

Hi Ross. Thanks for coming back to me. No my car does not gave automatic headlights. Cheers. Bonnie

Ross :

Ok, this is going to be a fault on the Multifunction control unit, the lights are computer controlled via this control unit. Its highly unlikely to be a wiring problem due to the type of circuit that is used.

The next step is to ask your mechanic to carry out a fault code diagnostic scan on the body electrical system, look for faults in the control module that might pinpoint the problem. If no problems are found I would give BMW Mini a call or pop into your local main dealer and ask if there are any software updates, often these are down to software issues and simply need updating. If BMW confirm no updates are available for this fault the Multifunction control module will need to be replaced.

Ross :

I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service. Thank you, Ross.