Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

I own a 2006 low mileage Carens , it is a very good car but

I own a 2006 low mileage Carens , it is a very good car but every so often there is a very strong smell of burning rubber coming from the offside of the car after stopping . three mechanics have looked for the problem but are baffled . Any ideas please .
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

What engine does the vehicle have exactly?

What sort of things have your mechanics already ruled out etc?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Robert

the engine is a diesel but I am not sure of the cc rating . I think it is about 1800 cc.

As far as I understand the mechanics have all looks for rubbing on the tyres .That is the sort of smell that it seems but they have found no sign of rubbing on the tyres .

Derek

Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi. Derek sorry for the delay..

Ok..normally the first checks to make is in regards ***** ***** brakes..to ensure there isnt the possibility that one of the calipers on that side isnt holding on causing the smell you note outside the car..one thing to check anyway...Normally tyres wouldnt cause that unless the there was somesort of extreme steering alignment fault...but as above maybe a quick check of the brakes might be the best step next and check for heat damaged or bluing on the discs surface..another thing that many people dont know about is that on occassion you may find a smell like that or similair as a result of regeneration in regards ***** ***** DPF..diesel particulate filter which the diesels have..considering the filter itself has to reach a certain temperature to burn off the caputred soot it will cause a burning smell to be noticed outside the car after use,and isnt of real concern..so that would be something to bear in mind if all else has been ruled out..I do hope this helps