Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

Honda Accord 2007 diesel.Smells coming through heating system.I

Honda Accord 2007 diesel.Smells coming through heating system.I believe it could be injector seals that need replacing.Is this possible?
Category: Car
Expert:  Ross replied 2 years ago.
Ross :

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I am a licensed diagnostic and repair technician, I look forward to working with you.

Ross :

It is possible that this is an injector seal leaking, but they usually make a ticking noise when they fail, it can be identified by removing the top engine cover (4 10mm nuts) and looking down at the injectors, if one is leaking it will have black deposits around the side of it. However a smell of diesel in the cabin is a very well known problem on the I-ctdi engine, Its caused by a crack in the exhaust manifold which lets diesel exhaust gasses into the cabin, they revised the part to prevent it happening again and supply it in a repair kit with all gaskets etc.. Honda extended the warranty to 7 years for this fault so unfortunately you may be just short of getting this repaired free of charge.

You need to take your car to a Honda main dealer to get any help with the cost, they should be able to identify if the manifold is cracked quickly by looking at it, if they confirm this you can then make a call to Honda UK explaining that you are just short of the extended warranty but the manifold requires replacing, they will then contact the dealer to confirm the fault. If your car has been looked after by a main dealer Honda UK will be very helpful and often agree to pay for the complete repair even if its out of the extended warranty. If its not been in the main dealer network they will usually still help, often they cover part of the repair such as providing the part free of charge while you pay for the labor.

Ross :

I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service. Thank you, Ross.

Customer:

Thanks for this.Have taken cover off and it is very dirty near injectors,black and fluid.It smells exactly as the smell in the car does.What do you think?How could I tell whether exhaust manifold has cracked? I think the Honda garage would have said when they had it two years ago.

Customer:

Took the engine cover off to find it black and gungey round the injectors-looked like neat diesel in there.The smell exactly as in the car.What do you think?

Ross :

If that is the case, it sounds like it needs a new set of injector seals. The best way to check if the manifold is cracked is the smell, it's difficult to see it due to where it is so either a light ticking noise when revved or the smell of diesel exhaust in the cabin. Injector seals can also make a ticking noise but the top of the engine should be clean so it definitely sounds like the washers are not sealing. A set of four washers is about £3, as for labor... If all goes well, it's an hour or two but injectors can sieze in on these and can take a bit longer to get them out.

Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience: Licensed diagnostic and repair technician