Greg Szczygiel
Greg Szczygiel, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Vehicle technician and electrician currently working in reputable independent garage in UK. Fully acredited ATA diagnostic technician.
82566532

Sir, I have an electrical fault to earth on a Fiat Scudo,

Customer Question

Sir,
I have an electrical fault to earth on a Fiat Scudo, 03, when ignition is turned off!
Bought new 75amp/hr battery which started Fiat first time, left it switched off for a week and found that there was no charge in the battery at all, even the red security light was not working, no horn or lights. Charged to full and removed connection from + pole, another week, replaced lead and vehicle started first time, tried again and left for another 3 weeks, replaced lead and without touching any foot pedals it started first time.
I am going to use an amp meter to try and find the source of the fault, unless you can suggest what it might be!?
My reason for all these tests is due to the fact that, when hot the fiat would start but not run, just splutter and stall! Leaving it for 10mins or so it would start first time!! My garage are sure it is mechanical, I think that they are wrong as the vehicle runs very well once it has started.
Have you ever come across this kind of fault before?
Chris
Category: Car
Expert:  Greg Szczygiel replied 2 years ago.
In order to help you locate drain on the battery I can suggest to connect amp meter, preferably current clamp around thick negative wire.
Than simulate locking of the van by activating door latches with screwdriver (door still open).If you have central locking remote lock the van with it.If not lock with key.
Leave the van for 25 minutes and check amperage value reading it should be less than 100 mA, ideally around 50mA.What I would do next if amp reading is too high is to start pulling fuses one by one and observe significant drop of amp value on the meter.Also try disconnect alternator.
In response to your second question about running problem I can only suggest to connect the van to diagnostic scanner and read fault codes.
More likely there will be fuel pressure related issue, to check it go to live data and check fuel pressure value on idle and check if it increases when increasing engine speed.
Next I recommend to check air flow sensor reading and EGR valve activity.
I hope it helps.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Greg,

Sorry but I haven't had time to check your suggestions yet, getting amp meter and will also have to source a clamp!

Yes I had thought about checking by removing fuses but going at it from the opposite end, removing all and then replacing, yours sounds a better idea!

Regarding the 2nd question, I will have to suggest this to my garage as I do not have a scanner, having to rely on electronic devices is not something we used to have to do in the old days, just refer to the wiring diagram and work it out for yourself, I've tried to 'find' a wiring diagram for the Scudo, virtually non-existant!! They used to put them in the back of the handbooks along with a full set of spanners.....well, those were the days!!

Thanks for your suggestions, will let you know the outcome as soon as I've put them into practice.

Chris

Ok, Let me know about the progress, I'm happy to assist you right to the end.
I'm looking forward to your response.