Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

Ford Mondeo Ghia TDCI(###) ###-#### ***** of a rattle ,black

Ford Mondeo Ghia TDCI(###) ###-#### ***** hell of a rattle ,black & white smoke out of exhaust,loss of power. Thought maybe timing chain jumped a tooth and bent valves in cyl.head. took off cyl.head. Didnt check timing before taking to bits as didnt want to do any more damage. Stripped cyl. head.In need of a decoke (120,000mls ) but valves & guides O.K.and not bent or marked .Timing Chain and sprockets seem O.K. Visually pistons not marked and bores seem O.K.
Inlet manifold wet . Stripped turbo on inlet side. Wet but free and vane not damaged or marked.Worried about what the rattle was.Should i remove the sump next?
Category: Car
Expert:  Ross replied 2 years ago.
Ross :

and thanks me to help you today. I am a licensed diagnostic and repair technician, I look forward to working with you.

Customer:

Sorry.havent received your asnswer.I gave you the wrong e.mail address. It shoulld have been *****@******.*** .Would appreciate if you could send it again.

Ross :

, this is a chat interface we can talk back and forth in.

Ross :

Could that rattle have been diesel knock due to a fueling issue or was it a mechanical/metallic rattle?

Customer:

i wasnt in the car at the time. The owner just said there was an allmighty clatter. i t sounded like machanical.

Ross :

Right ok, I think as you have come this car the sump will need to come off , check the bottom end signs of damage.

Customer:

Thanks. What do you think about the turbo being wet on the inlet side?

Ross :

It's normal to get a bit of a mist which will tend to build up into drops of oil. If its very wet it is a sign of worn seals but the best way to check is to remove the intercooler and see if there is any build up of oil inside. If nothing drips out then its probably not pushing much oil past the seals. It's unlikely that would be the cause of the noise so if its not wet in the intercooler I would leave it as it is and keep an eye on it in the future just to ensure its not in early stages of failure.

Customer:

the black & white smoke out of the exhaust is a bit worrying . i was expecting to find something in the head or block. No 4 cyl. looked especially oily. Maybe with the sump off i can undo the big end nuts and push the pistons out .

Ross :

I would be inclined to take the pistons out, as the bottom end caps should come off anyway it's worth checking the pistons and rings. Hone the bore too while you are there. Replace rings as necessary It could be a broken oil control ring, I have had rings make a noise as they rattle on the ring lands but it's not usually a loud rattle as such, more of a ticking noise.

Customer:

i forgot to mention that a compression test was done before i stripped it and 3 out of the 4 cyl' were only half what they should be. it might point to something general to all cylinders.

Ross :

What condition was the head gasket in?

Customer:

i need to check the head gasket properly but it looked O.K. initially. .Water level in the rad was normal before i drained it. Ross thanks advice, i obviously need to look at it more closely. i was just hoping that something akin to the Mondeo was prevalent.Thanks again.

Ross :

I suspect this is just a one off as it's not something I see on a regular basis or anything i would say was a "known problem" on these, so unfortunately it will be a case of stripping, inspecting and replacing as necessary.
Good luck with the repair, If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service. Thank you, Ross.

Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience: Licensed diagnostic and repair technician