Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

I have a Alfa 147, rear middle seat belt is jammed.

I have a Alfa 147, rear middle seat belt is jammed. Can this be fixed?

The belt won't reach the clip, so can't be used.

Category: Car
Expert:  Ross replied 2 years ago.
Ross :

and thanks me to help you today. I am a licensed diagnostic and repair technician, I look forward to working with you.

Ross :

Is your seat belt pulling out and locking or is it jammed out and not retracting or extending?

Customer:

Locked/jammed not extending

Customer:

belt
Full Size Image

Customer:

Full Size Image

Customer:

Full Size Image

Ross :

Ok, if that is the case, there is very little that can be done. This happens when the plastic ratchet wheel breaks apart inside or the ball bearing that locks it gets stuck. If the ball bearing is stuck, you can try to get it to unlock by unbolting the reel and allowing more of the belt to retract in, then gently try to pull it back out. If there is no luck its probably the plastic wheel inside and the belt reel should be replaced. These are a sealed unit so cannot safely be opened.

Customer:

ok thanks

Ross :

I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service. Thank you, Ross.

Customer:

If the ball bearing is stuck, you can try to get it to unlock by unbolting the reel?? How do I do this.

Customer:

There is no slack in the belt to allow more of the belt to retract

Ross :

No, but if you unbolt the reel from inside the seat, the reel can be moved up to push more of the belt in.

Ross :

I Believe the bolt is the one you can see in the 2nd image you sent.

Customer:

Full Size Image
this bolt in the middle of the seat

Ross :

yes

Customer:

thanks