Greg Szczygiel
Greg Szczygiel, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Vehicle technician and electrician currently working in reputable independent garage in UK. Fully acredited ATA diagnostic technician.
82566532

bought 2011 transit van with seized engine, just had an

bought 2011 transit van with seized engine, just had an replacement engine fitted so had new clutch fitted too( solid flywheel) got van back was a vibrating noise , mechanic said gearbox chatter few week later noise got worse so I was told it had gearbox problem , so went to gearbox specialist he took it apart and said garage had fitted clutch wrong and fitted a new clutch as the clutch was damaged ( wobbly centre) got van back noticed there was still vibration on clutch pedal and chatter coming and going , called garage and he said noticed a bit of vibration but it was would be ok , (I can sometimes feel chatter through engine as if I'm in high gear at low speed) it doesn't feel right to me , sometimes I'm finding it hard to get in second gear and hear a winding noise ( like when you put a car in first gear when moving) other times it selects gears fine, engine also hunts now and then , all the symptom are intermittent and come and go , think I've bought Christine
Category: Car
Expert:  Greg Szczygiel replied 2 years ago.
I'm Greg.
I think I can answer your question but I need some more information.
What is the engine size?
Ideally could you provide reg number?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
2.2 yt11rmz , my van don't know reg of new engine but it was apparently 10 plate
I am happy to give you full answer and vibration issues but you also mention chatter through the engine which may be caused by something else.
Would you like me to answer you gearbox and vibration question?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ps if I press clutch noise goes , the engine sounds good when clutch pressed in
Thanks decision,
The whole reason related noises, vibrations etc. is the fact that this van is or has been driven with solid flywheel.
Originally it should have dual mass.
Dual mass flywheels are mainly fitted on diesel engines to provide level of protection against harsh operation of engine.Components to be protected are gearbox, clutch and drive shafts.Because you had gearbox already diagnosed as faulty as well as the clutch failure the only reason is solid flywheel instead of dual mass.
I know many will say it is popular and ok to convert to solid, but I can tell you from experience when I worked company and we have converted few cars to solid flywheels there was no end of trouble with exactly the same things you are describing.
So my answer to you question is, reinstall dual mass flywheel with new clutch kit and replacement gearbox.Also inspect drive shafts and CV joints wear.
I hope it helps you with your van.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The flywheel has not been converted it was solid flywheel on both engines , just to be clear the van come from factory with solid flywheel,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The vibration I feel on pedal is more like a circular motion and it has already gone through 1 new clutch and now same symptoms on second , as if something's not lined up right and the chatter is intermittent , as gearbox , when I took it to specialist he said box was fine , but second gear feels stiff sometimes again this is intermittent as other times it goes in gear fine
Ok,I'm happy to look further into this, meanwhile could you confirm engine code? Is it P8FA.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes think so but not 100%
,It's Greg
In order to continue in answering your question could you let me know about the following:
We must clearly establish engine code fitted, because if it is P8FA than yes it would be solid flywheel, if it is P8FB it is dual mass.(Same engines)
You can find it on the VIN plate locaded on passenger's door pillar.
Could you provide engine number? (replacement engine)
When you experience vibration on clutch pedal is it permanent - always present?
If not could you note engine speed, gear and vehicle speed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Vibration Permanent , where is the engine no located as I can't find it
Left side of the block, near high pressure pump.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
mate, only numbers I can find are the one above pressure pump 6c106k537ab , then k4 tea 2.2-5 this under pump and a paper barcode with no 2.2up 071106134323 bbbb that's all I can find
Ok, leave it with me while I'm trying to establish engine code of the replacement engine.
And do you remember if this new engine came with flywheel already fitted?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes the flywheel was already on
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the code on side of door on my van is p8fa
In this case it looks like my first answer can go to scrap, incorrect flywheel is not the issue.
The only way I can help is to give you my suggestions which will reveal the answer.
I would do the following to diagnose vibration/pulsation on clutch pedal.
Remove the gearbox and clutch, measure flywheel runout, check the torque of flywheel bolts, check crankshaft end play.
As far as I know there is no spigot bearing in the crankshaft of this engine.
I hope it helps you in some way, the cause of the symptoms you are describing can only be found by removing parts and performing tests and measurements.
I hope you will find the faulty part.