Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

i have a yellow oil ridge like on my car i put oil in the

i have a yellow oil ridge like on my car i put oil in the car but it is still on
Category: Car
Expert:  Ross replied 2 years ago.
Ross :

and thanks me to help you today. I am a licensed diagnostic and repair technician, I look forward to working with you.

Ross :

Is this yellow oil on the oil filler cap?

Customer:

no its a warning light on the right hand side

Ross :

Oh sorry I understand now.

Customer:

its like a oil ridge sign

Ross :

Is your car petrol or diesel?

Customer:

i had it in the Opel garaged last year they said it was dirty petrol and turned the sign off and told me t drive it

Customer:

petrol

Ross :

Ok im trying to picture what light it is. Is the oil can with a line under it?

Customer:

no not that its a bigger sign looks like a oil ridge no handle coming out of it

Customer:

if you can put some pitcure up i can show you then

Customer:

the one over the oil ca in red

Ross :

Brillian,

Ross :

t

Ross :

Ok so that's the engine management light. It will come on when any fault is detected on the engine management. It could be one of hundreds of possible causes

Ross :

It may or may not be linked to the problem you had before so ideally this needs to be plugged into a diagnostic scanner to look codes

Customer:

can i drive the car as i have to drive to work tomorrow i can ring the garaged tomorrow i told them that it was pulling when changing from 2nd into 3rd could this be it

Ross :

It doubt its to do with the pulling, This light is usually something that can effect emission, usually related to the fuel system although often it's a one off hiccup and can be reset, or a simple sensor fault.

Is the car running as normal? No misfires, stalling smoke or anything like that?

Customer:

its running ok only happen on a long journey on Sat

Ross :

Ok great, there is no reason why you can't use the car as normal until you can get it looked at. As there is no running issue, the chances are this is a simple sensor fault or the fault has come and gone again and left the light on. Its best to get it looked at sooner rather than later though as some faults can cause problems like excessive fuel consumption.

Customer:

great thanks help i can sleep tonight and get it looked at tomorrow