Greg
Greg, Technician
Experience:  Automotive diagnostic tech
29331485

I have a VW Touran 54 Reg. and cannot open the tail gate. The

Customer Question

I have a VW Touran 54 Reg. and cannot open the tail gate. The remote unlocks all the other doors, but not the tail gate.
Category: Car
Expert:  Ross replied 2 years ago.
Ross :

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I am a licensed diagnostic and repair technician, I look forward to working with you.

JACUSTOMER-pw3b4cc2- :

I had hoped you would be able to answer my question.

Ross :

Hi, sorry for the delay. We can chat back and forth here.

This seems to be commonly caused by a sticking lock, I have seen a few fail and require replacement however often you can cure the problem your self.

You need to lower the rear seat backs and remove the luggage compartment cover, then climb into the boot. Open the horizontal flap on the tailgate inner trim that houses the warning triangle, you should see a small lever inside that releases the boot lid lock.
often this will restore normal operation of the key fob release as using this mechanical release moves the lock through its full motion which can free up the electronic lock solenoid

Ross :

I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service. Thank you, Ross.

JACUSTOMER-pw3b4cc2- :

I can see no lever to operate.

Ross :

Ok, if your model has no lever then it is a fully electronically controlled lock (as most later types are) Unfortunately there is probably a fault with the release solenoid so the interior boot trim will need to come off to access the release mechanism, and the lock inspected for faults.

JACUSTOMER-pw3b4cc2- :

?

Ross :

Did you receive my last reply OK?

JACUSTOMER-pw3b4cc2- :

I did receive your last reply, but it doesn't answer my question - I still cannot open the tail gate.

Ross :

Hi. I don't have the repair manual to hand for the step by step guide to accessing the lock so I will opt out for another expert to assist.

JACUSTOMER-pw3b4cc2- :

I'm still waiting for an answer

Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I've been working hard to find another Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.