Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Focus 2002 will not start. Does not crank and gives regular

Focus 2002 will not start.
Does not crank and gives regular clicking, dash lights flash in unison with clicks.
is this a faulty solenoid or relay?
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

the clicking is very likely the starter relay - they tend to do this when the battery voltage is low

so its possbily just the battery needs a charge or possibly replacing as cold weather taxes a battery

but if the car's not cranking then first check it can turned over by hand so double checking for any mechanical issues

If OK then check that the main battery cables are on tight and the terminals are clean and bright. Do the same for the engine / gearbox earth strap.
Then follow the main positive lead back to the engine and down to the starter motor, and check the connection at this end as well.

There should also be a small wire to the motor which should have 12V when you're turning the ignition switch to crank. If the 12V isn't there, check back along this wire for damage to the insulation or corroded connections

This 12V feed comes directly from the ignition switch so this may be faulty and need replacing

Check the resistance of the main positive lead that runs down to the motor as anything more than a few ohms and it should be replaced

Don't forget to try a jump start from another car / battery as its possible the battery is poor, if you have a voltmeter a healthy battery should read 12.7+V

also try substituting the battery for another as I've known a very flat battery to drag down the system voltage too far even with jump cables

one other thing to consider is that the immobiliser is faulty and preventing the starter from being enabled - however if the dash / ignition lights are on then this usually means that its off

If this is all OK then its possible the car needs a new starter motor

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for this. I can't rate until tomorrow. Need to ascertain if advice is useful.

David

Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
No problem David

thats how its meant to work

just get back to me on this post if I can help further