Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

Diesel ford focus started this morning then stalled out, now

Customer Question

Diesel ford focus started this morning then stalled out, now wont start, and attempt after attempt the battery turning the engine over seems to be getting weaker and charges again after a while, i put the key in the ignition, wait for the glow plug light to go off, clutch down turn the key and the engine just does not start but turns over... Its came on twice but both times I failed to catch it and rev it, now im not even getting that chance its just weakly turning over what am i best doing
Category: Car
Expert:  Ross replied 2 years ago.
Ross :

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I am a licensed diagnostic and repair technician, I look forward to working with you.

Ross :

This may sound like a very obvious question, but starting with the basics what is the fuel level in the car? the reason i ask is that when the fuel is down to approx 100 miles remaining if its parked a certain way the fuel can move away from the pickup pipe and prevent starting so I like to rule this out first.

JACUSTOMER-9rvg1ang- :

The tank is 60% full

Ross :

Ok great so that rules that out. I suspect there is a fault somewhere on the management or fuels supply system, this may be a case of blocked fuel filter or another minor issue such as a sensor etc.. Its difficult to say due to the amount of possible causes of non starting. Ideally the next step is to have the car scanned using a diagnostic scanner to look for any faults on the engine management system. Any fault codes here will help pinpoint the problem such as low fuel pressure etc..

If possible, the battery needs to be fully charged up and a diagnostic scan carried out before going any further, any garage or mobile mechanic should be able to do this for you and usually charge around £40

Ross :

I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service. Thank you, Ross.

Expert:  Ross replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.