Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

, I just drove my car home from buying it. On the way home

Hi, I just drove my car home from buying it. On the way home I had no power on hills could not rev above 4000rpm and only hit 80mph downhill. speed warning was reading --- After I came online and looked how to set the speed warning I changed it to 70mph went back out and all is well. Have I overridden something I shouldn't have? Phoned the dealer and he reckons that a plug/plugs under bonnet wiring may have got wet fom steam cleaning and this restricted amount of cylinders firing, Hence the poor performance/restriction. I'm not convinced!! I'm afraid of causing any damage. Any ideas? Thanks
Category: Car
Expert:  Ross replied 2 years ago.
Ross :

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I am a licensed diagnostic and repair technician, I look forward to working with you.

Ross :

What make/model and engine size is your car? Thanks. Ross.

Customer:

Hi, it's 2006 passat estate 1.9tdi

Ross :

It sounds to me like you might have set the speed limiter by accident as this is designed to prevent the car going over a set speed.

Customer:

I take it the speed limiter is not the same as the speed warning? How could I have accidently set the speed limiter? where is it?

Ross :

No it is different, but not all models had it at this age, do you know the spec/trim level of the car?

Customer:

s

Customer:

The plate is 06 but the reg date is jan 2007 and it's an s model if you didn't get that. The crux of the question is really, do you think it has been done automatically to prevent engine damage? Obviously I am wary of putting my foot down?

Ross :

I have checked the specs for this model and no, it doesn't have a speed limiter according to my data.

So the cause of this is likely to be down to a fault, if the engine had gone into "limp mode" this would happen so it is possible there was a minor fault on the engine management which caused it to enter limp mode to prevent damage however I would expect to see either a flashing glow plug light and/or the engine management light on if that was the case, although not always..

If the engine is running well and the problem cleared, I would take the car out and give it a good drive, try to give it full throttle under load a few times and then let it cruise for a while in top gear to see if it happens again. If it does it should then bring the engine management light on and record a fault code which will pinpoint the cause. Otherwise this may have simply been a one off.

Customer:

There were no lights showing first time around, so i'll go out now and give it a go. Thanks.

Ross :

I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service. Thank you, Ross.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I asked a local mechanic and he had it straight away. The turbo had burnt out