Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

i have just purchased a 57 plate ldv maxus 52k miles.poor starter

i have just purchased a 57 plate ldv maxus 52k miles.poor starter or non starter after over night. my local garage have had it on computer and 2 faults comming up air flow switch/meter and cam belt sensor,they advise me to try and get my money back but to be honest the van is clean and runs fine once 1st start is over,seems a bit under powerd but they seem to think the airflow thing would sort that out
Category: Car
Expert:  Ross replied 2 years ago.
Ross :

and thanks me to help you today. I am a licensed diagnostic and repair technician, I look forward to working with you.

Customer:

ok

Ross :

It sounds like the cam sensor is most likely causing the poor starting issues. And i agree with your mechanic that a the air flow sensor will cause it to feel underpowered.

The camshaft sensor is a fairly simple part to replace and does not cost all that much. You mention that you have been advised to take the van back, Is it still covered by any sort of warranty?

Customer:

it has a basic warrenty the problem i have is the garage is 100 miles away and i need the van . sowas thinking if it isnt a big job i could just get it sorted,however the guy i use locally is saying that he has checked glow plugs starter battery all ok so if it isnt sensor it may be the van is going to be costly to repair

Ross :

Based on what you say I would expect both sensors to cure the problems. Both of the faults found will cause both starting and running issues. The air flow sensor is around £90 (often less) and the cam sensor is around £30 and fitting both should take about an hour so if you are happy to pay i think it would be worth doing as if there was another fault causing this i would expect to see a different fault code problem. It is impossible to say though the cheapest option would be to have the garage repair the faults under warranty and see if the fault is cured, the chances are it will cure the problem but worst case the fault is still there, at least you are not out of pocket.

Customer:

ok thank you.could you advise me if the £20 payment i have agreed to on this site is a one off payment ?

Ross :

Yes that is the deposit you pay question, you only pay when you are happy with your answer by rating my service.

Customer:

ok thank you again