Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

bought a 2nd hand car 15 days ago, problems with it, in garage

bought a 2nd hand car 15 days ago, problems with it, in garage twice. Asked back refused. Can i get my monies back?
Category: Car
Expert:  Ross replied 2 years ago.
Ross :

and thanks me to help you today. I am a licensed diagnostic and repair technician, I look forward to working with you.

Customer:

My son bought a car from a used car dealer 15 days ago.

Ross :

Have the garage attempted to repair the problem?

Customer:

My son bought a car 15 days ago - copy of letter given to garage - should they give him his money back

Ross :

Ok, what sort of problems were you having with the car?

Customer:

Whilst travelling from Cheltnham to Cornwall a Warning Lamp came on. This turned out to be an Exhaust management fault.The garage had the car days, said they had repaired it, as it was a split pipe. The fault has since reassured. Also problems with the gear box & problems starting the car.

Ross :

Ok if the car was sold with a warranty these faults shoud be corrected, the garage must be given reasonable chance to repair the faults, if they refuse or fail, you can negotiate money back to have the repaired carried out elseware, change to another car of the same value or have a full refund.

Ross :

Regardless of warranty, unless it was "sold as seen" and you signed to agree that, the car must be in an acceptable working order and is covered by the sales of goods act months.

Customer:

My son has taken the car back, given them a letter explaining the reasons & walked away as they refused to give him his money back

Ross :

Ok. If the garage refuse and do not respond reasonably to your letters, you may need to get legal advice. This is something I see a lot and often ends up in small claims court, the outcome is nearly always that the customer is ordered a full refund. But it is within your rights to have the money refunded if they refuse to repair the car.