Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

- months now my 1999 Cherokee has been making

- months now my 1999 Cherokee has been making an odd noise from the turbo. Rather than the usual smooth whistle you get when the turbo kicks in around 2500 rpm, it's become more of a raspy sort of noise. There doesn't appear to be anything rattling. or any sort of worn bearing sound to it - it's, if I may use the description, a bit like a weak wet fart! (I do apologise). I gather it's nothing terribly urgent - as I would have surely found myself stranded at the side of the road long before now, but it is something I would like to get fixed before that day happens. I'm aware that turbo's do break eventually - what sort of symptoms normally occur? Many thanks indeed. Andy
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

..

Hopefully i can help..

Turbo faults manifest in lots of ways depending on the nature of the problem with it..normally the most common is lack of proper oil/filter changes that often cause problems..the other is oil starvation in regards ***** ***** turbo not getting a proper supply of oil feed in turn this causes the bearings on the turbine/compressor shaft to wear and thus causing the shaft to become unbalanced and then you get the unusual noises.grating/whistle etc..easy way to know is to get the intake tube on the compressor side of the turbo off..and then feel by hand the shaft inside play or look of oil pooling inside..if there is then the turbo often needs replaced..Also in some case you may find a lag in turbo kicking in/blue smoke if oil is getting past the seals / black smoke if the wastegate is sticking..again that something that needs to be checked out..Also not forgetting to check all intake/intercooler hoses obvious signs of tears/splits etc.so that has to be checked out too..but as above thats normally the most common problems one of which being due to oil quaility or lack of oil lubircation reaching the turbo itself..I do hope this helps

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Robert - many thanks for your reply, which has been very useful.

I shall have the garage look into your recommendations.

Best regards

Andy