Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

I have a 1990 2.1 injection DJ VW Caravelle.I start it up from

I have a 1990 2.1 injection DJ VW Caravelle.I start it up from cold.After driving off,after anything from 100 metres or a kilometre,say,the engine cuts out.I then have to turn off the ignition turn it straight on again,rev it a bit if necessary,and it comes straight back to life again.that may be it rest of the journey,or,after 10 kiometres or so I may get a repeat performance,on a roundabout perhaps,but the fault seems to have nothing to do with whether I am driving in a straight line or in circles.I would be so grateful if anyone out there has any suggestions as to the possible cause.
Joe G.
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 2 years ago.
, welcome. My name is***** will do my very best to assist you with your question. I apologize if you have been waiting long response.
The issue that you are having is the fuel pump is not holding the proper amount of pressure and is resulting in the problem that you are having. The fuel pump is internally failing and will need to be tested and likely replaced.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

***** *****,Thank you extremely promt reply/advice/diagnosis.I contacted V.W.Heritage who are ordering a new pump from a firm in Germany,which should hopefully arrive in approx.

three weeks.So I'll let you know the result when it's fitted! In the meantime all the best, Joe