Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

I have a rover city car. The fob will not unlock /lock the

I have a rover city car. The fob will not unlock /lock the car. Has new battery and fobs
Category: Car
Expert:  Ross replied 2 years ago.
Ross :

and thanks me to help you today. I am a licensed diagnostic and repair technician, I look forward to working with you.

Ross :

I suspect the key fobs may have lost the programming to the control unit which receives the signal from the fob. The key fobs on these need to be programmed to the car using diagnostic equipment. This can happen apparent reason sometimes, or as a result of a fault with the control unit or the car battery being changed or low as the suddent voltage spike and wipe the code.

Now the batteries have been replaced the car needs to be plugged into diagnostics to carry out the programming procedure required to link the key fobs to the car. If this fails to work it would point to a faulty control unit but I strongly suspect this is just a case of lost programming code. Any good garage can carry this procedure out and usually charge between £20-£40

Ross :

I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service. Thank you, Ross.