Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

water pressure goes from normal to blowing hose in 30 seco

water pressure goes from normal to blowing hose in 30 seconds
Category: Car
Expert:  Ross replied 2 years ago.
Ross :

and thanks me to help you today. I am a licensed diagnostic and repair technician, I look forward to working with you.

Customer:

cannot find answer

Ross :

. sorry delay. We can chat back and forth here.

Ross :

Just before we get started. is this a 1.6, 1.8, or 1.8VVC ?

Customer:

1.8

Ross :

Thanks. Ok pressure to build to such levels so quickly, this will be one of two very common problems with these engines. Firstly is the cylinder head gasket, it was a very well known problem on these engines and they tend to fail at 60-80k miles Unfortunately many that went before this were replaced with the original faulty part and they failed again shortly after. Secondly, is a dropped cylinder liner, this usually happens shortly after head gasket replacement if the procedure was not followed correctly.

Do you have history to say if the head gasket has ever been replaced?

Customer:

replaced 5 years ago with shim gasket

Customer:

sorry replaced shim with updated gasket

Ross :

Ok, you will need to carry out a cylinder compression test now as it will almost certainly be a dropped liner or head gasket failure. The compression test will show up which cylinder is leaking into the cooling system.

Customer:

can a dropped liner be repaired

Ross :

Yes, although some people will say it's more reliable to replace the bottom end, it's difficult to get the liner to Re-seal and therfore often too risky so it's best left to an engine specialist to re seat. I have seen many gaskets fail a second time too even with the shim, it made it considerably stronger but it was always a fault with the engine design so can reoccur.