Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

I have a Volkswagen polo 1.6GL it has a new battery and it

I have a Volkswagen polo 1.6GL it has a new battery and it turns over but it takes a long time to start in the morning now lost on wot to do next !!!! HELP
Category: Car
Expert:  Ross replied 2 years ago.
Ross :

and thanks me to help you today. I am a licensed diagnostic and repair technician, I look forward to working with you.

A few questions before we get started on diagnosing the problem.

Firstly, do you know when the engine was last serviced, and if so how long ago and what was done?
Second, does the engine otherwise run ok without problems once it gets going?

Customer:

thanks back to me so quickly. Sorry I don't now when it was last serviced not had the car very long and secondly it runs fine wwhen it starts.

Ross :

Ok that's a good sign then.

Firstly, I would strongly recommend you get the car serviced ensuring it has a new set of spark plugs and air filter. These are routine service items and will have a large effect on the efficiency and reliability so even if it's not the cause of this, it wont help.

As starting problem, this sounds like it could be engine coolant temperature sensor. This sensor is a small sensor on the top of the engine on the coolant flange, its a 4 pin sensor which feeds engine temp to the gauge and the engine ECU. These are the route cause of many starting problems on these and often go un noticed.

The sensor is around £25 and takes about 10 mins to fit.

Customer:

I will give that a try Ross and thank you very much time if I have anymore problems I won't hesitate to contact you again many thanks.