Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

I have the basic model of the Up! which locks/unlocks the boot

Customer Question

I have the basic model of the Up! which locks/unlocks the boot by central locking, but not the passenger door. Can the central locking system be extended to the passenger door, or is fitting CDL controlled via remote a better/cheaper option? (I just read about the CDL thing somewhere and don't even know what it means.)
Category: Car
Expert:  Ross replied 2 years ago.
Ross :

and thanks me to help you today. I am a licensed diagnostic and repair technician, I look forward to working with you.

JACUSTOMER-lv8pb4sk- :

?

Ross :

, The easiest way to extend the locking to the passenger door is to use an aftermarket central locking kit, it will need to be fitted to both passenger and drivers door this will lock both doors with a new key fob.

Ross :

This is what people refer to as CDL (central door lock) The kit comes with two solenoids which activate the locks, A control unit with wiring harness and key fobs.

JACUSTOMER-lv8pb4sk- :

Cool. I've got an auto electric***** *****ned up. Is there anything technical he should know, or anywhere special to get the kit? Also, will the boot still open and lock along with the driver's (or now both) door(s)? What will it cost (approx) . parts and 2. labour?

Ross :

No it's quite simple to fit and any universal kit will work fine. As boot lock, if this locks and unlocks by inserting the key into the drivers door, then it should work with the new kit as the new system will effectively activate the original system as well as its self in the passenger door, it depends on how your electrician wires it up but there is usually a separate output boot on the new control unit anyway.

The kits start at £20 online, its worth paying about £50 good kit with two solenoids, if the electrician is unable to make the boot lock work you can buy an extra solenoid £10 to upgrade the kit. So to start with you will need a kit that comes with two solenoids (one door).

The electrician will take around 2 hours to fit the kit, depending on the hourly rate, expect to pay around £150 including the kit

JACUSTOMER-lv8pb4sk- :

Ross. That's great. I'm going to give you a smiley face.

Ross :

Many thanks! any problems, feel free to come back here. I'm always happy to help. Ross.

Expert:  Ross replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.