Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

do i have to remove the gear box to replace new clutch

do i have to remove the gear box to replace new clutch slave cylinder
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

..

Hopefully i can help..

What Kia - Model / Year / Engine do you have?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

kia seconda reg nx55lhe merc

Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

..there thanks reply..

Ok so its a 2.9 diesel engine...from what i see according to the reg number being 2005 the slave cylinder is showing as an external slave cylinder mounted with 2 fixing bolts and not a csc slave cylinder that would require gearbox removal..easy way to verfiy is to check the gearbox yourself..look around the bellhousing and locate the clutch release arm/fork - actuating that you see the slave cylinder/solid fluid line from it..If its just a solid fluid line exiting the bellhousing then slave concentric "csc" and that does indeed require gearbox removal one..but as above upto 2006 they should be external slave cylinders..I do hope this helps..

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

so are you saying that the 2005 and up to 2006 should be fitted with an external slave cylinders and not a csc slave and the gearbox does not need to be removed

Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

..there..

According to the parts list 2.9 diesel "J3"- between July 1999 - October 2006 = they have the external clutch slave cylinders..After 2006 - 2009 they have concentric slave cylinders which requires gearbox removal.If you have the VIN number there I can recheck.I do hope this helps further..if you require to ask anything further then please continue before you rate

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

do i have to replace clutch fork and pivot ball

Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

..

Not unless it was damaged/bent..and the release fork can only be replaced by removing the gearbox anyway to get inside the bellhousing...the slave cylinder as you mentioned before "if" leaking or weak can be replaced without removing the gearbox and doesnt normally require replacing the clutch fork at the same time etc...

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the vin is kneup751256742205

Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

..

Ok.as per my search via supplier of those slave cylinders .certainly seems to come back as an external slave cylinder and not the concentric type