Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician

I am buying a vw passat1.6 bluemotion 2010 with 100K on the

I am buying a vw passat1.6 bluemotion 2010 with 100K on the clock, full service history are there any common faults or processes that should be done before clinching the deal?
Category: Car
Expert:  Ross replied 1 year ago.
Ross :

and thanks me to help you today. I am a licensed diagnostic and repair technician, I look forward to working with you.

Generally these cars are very reliable and well built. The engines are good strong engines which incorporate a lot of newer manufacturing techniques. Because of this it is absolutely vital that the correct grade and specification of engine oil is used. If you have a main dealer service history this shouldn't be a problem but if its been done at an independent garage, look of correct oil. It usually specifies this on the invoice.

The millage is a little above average age of the car, this is nothing to worry about providing it has good service history. If its manual at this millage the clutch could be coming close to the end of its life if it was driven hard but again, 100k in 4 years points more to motorway miles so as long as the clutch does not slip or judder there should be nothing to worry about, you could see another 50k miles out of it.

Otherwise just check driveability of the car on test drive, it should be smooth and quiet with no knocks from the suspension or rattles. Make sure the engine pulls well up the rev range, Being the 1.6 Model the engine is small but surprisingly powerful and it should delivery this power smoothly from idle until around 3500rpm where it will tale off slightly. This is a very refined engine and not show signs of smoke when driving. When cold, or accelerating suddenly there will be a bit naturally.

VW Gearboxes in the past have been the weak link. The Automatic gearboxes although are very good, they do suffer from problems occasionally and can get very expensive to repair so if it's an auto ensure the gearbox is smooth with no slipping, harsh shifting or whining noises.

The manual gearboxes don't tend to go wrong, but general wear and tear can effect them so make sure the gears are smooth, check this when its cold. 2nd gear is often the first to show signs of wear so check this by decelerating from a higher gear and selecting 2nd (as if coming up to a junction) As 2nd is selected check resistance, if it seems difficult to get in but slips in easily as the car slows, it's a sign of wear on the syncros, also check noise or whining in all gears which changes on acceleration/deceleration.

Other than the usual checks above, there is nothing else specific to these modes you need to look out for, these have a reputation very reliable robust cars and will continue to be providing regular servicing is carried out when the service reminder requests it.

Ross :

I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service. Thank you, Ross.

Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience: Licensed diagnostic and repair technician