Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

, ............ 2002 - 2 litre petrol auto Octavia -Brake

Customer Question

, ............
2002 - 2 litre petrol auto Octavia -Brake lights are sticking on.
- replaced the 'switch' above brake pedal near the steering column 7 months ago but now the brake lights sticking on again all the time ( ignition on or off & key removed / car locked up ) - my mechanic tried to identify a relay which he says controls this & 'ESP' ? but ,local VW agent does not recognise the brake switch no or the relay part no or colour !? .......help please................Mick
Category: Car
Expert:  Ross replied 2 years ago.
Ross :

and thanks me to help you today. I am a licensed diagnostic and repair technician, I look forward to working with you.

Ross :

This sounds like the stop lamp cut off relay is faulty.

The relay you mentioned ESP Sounds like a different relay, this is the ESP warning lamp relay which is different to the stop lamp cut off relay. so just to be sure I have put up this diagram to ensure you have the correct relay.

From memory this relay is a standard type much like many other relays on this box, so you can swap one from another circuit such relay number 1 (horn) temporarily to see if the problem is corrected.

Ross :

I will look up the part numbers, However if it is a four pin relay (from memory it is) you can simply replace this with a generic relay of the same size and rating from any auto factor.

Ross :

Looking at the relay, it is difficult to find reason but the part number is ***** up as 141951253B which is a standard type generic relay.

There are two variants of the brake light switch depending which is fitted to yours.

2 Pin 1J0945515
4 Pin 1J0945511B

Ross :

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service. Thank you, Ross.

JACUSTOMER-kiipijrl- :

Ross,.............

JACUSTOMER-kiipijrl- :

Ross,

JACUSTOMER-kiipijrl- :

Ross,..........thanks information which I have shown to my mechanic & we are ordering the part as per your part number. I will let you know in due course.......thanks moment.....I have typed a previous message but can't work out if that got sent or how to ensure this gets sent .......Mick

Ross :

Mick, thanks back to me. Let me know how it goes and just reply if you need further help, thanks, Ross.