Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

citroen ds4 engine murmer at speed

Customer Question

citroen ds4 engine murmer at speed
Category: Car
Expert:  Ross replied 2 years ago.
Ross :

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I am a licensed diagnostic and repair technician, I look forward to working with you.

JACUSTOMER-uwcsi1b3- :

NO answer received.

Ross :

Hi, sorry about the delay.

Ross :

we can talk back and forth here.

Can you hear this noise at all speeds?

JACUSTOMER-uwcsi1b3- :

Noise starts to murmer at about 40 mph and continues, & gradually increases up to 75 mph & then reduces

Ross :

Ok. you have replaced the usual suspects here which is good. I suspect this may be the gearbox differential bearings, these will sound very much like wheel bearing noise.

JACUSTOMER-uwcsi1b3- :

Would this be an expensive repair ? What does it involve ? If this diagnoses is incorrect what other fault could be possible ?

Ross :

There isn't a lot left, the only other thing would be a noise from the rear which often can sound surprising like the front so if its not already been done it may be worth checking the rear wheels bearings.

If the gearbox differential bearings are the cause, the gearbox would need to be removed and dismantled to access the differential, this then lifts out and new bearings can be pressed in.

Due to the age of the vehicle, is it still covered by the manufactures warranty?

JACUSTOMER-uwcsi1b3- :

Yes, it's still covered by warranty, although the mileage is high at 87000.

Ross :

Millage will be irrelevant during the initial 3 year manufacture warranty. The main dealer should diagnose and repair the fault free of charge, if they incorrectly diagnose it is still their responsibility to repair the original fault.

JACUSTOMER-uwcsi1b3- :

The work already carried out was conducted by a main dealer. They tried to brush it off as road & tyre wear noise , therefore, the reason why i had the two front tyers replaced. They obviously made the wrong diagnoses originally by replacing hub bearings and then driveshaft bearings.

Ross :

It might be worth making a phone call to Peugeot UK customer service, They can work between you and the dealer to help get the problem fixed but they also know about common problems. Often it turns out this may have happened to a fair few of these models, they will tell the main dealer this which will help with the diagnosis.

JACUSTOMER-uwcsi1b3- :

OK, Thanks for your help. Time will tell if you are correct. I will contact Citroen UK, you mentioned Peugeot,

Ross :

Sorry, i meant Citroen. It is a Peugeot engine and gearbox but yes, Citroen will be a bit more helpful haha.

Good luck, and keep me updated. I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service. Thank you, Ross.

JACUSTOMER-uwcsi1b3- :

I will start my enquiry through Citroen first thing Monday, and then if they are helpful I will take the car back to the main dealer hopefully to correct this problem.

Ross :

Great. Best of luck, and feel free to come back to me if you need any further assistance.

Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience: Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I returned the car to the Citroen service station that carried out the original work. Although they changed the wheel bearing and differential bearing it appears that it was just the offside front they replaced. Therefore, by changing the nearside wheel bearing the problem was solved.

Regards Tony

Expert:  Ross replied 2 years ago.
Hi Tony, It would explain a lot if only one of the hub bearings were changed initially. Im glad to hear it is all fixed though! Thanks for the update, Ross.