Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

CITYGO 75BHP I HAVE HAD MY CAR BACK FROM BODYWORK SHOP

Customer Question

CITYGO 75BHP
I HAVE HAD MY CAR BACK FROM BODYWORK SHOP 1 MONTH (NEW SPOILER BONNET AND WING ETC AFTER SMALL BUMP ON ROAD.)AND YESTERDAY WHILST DRIVING THE TEMP WARNING LIGHT CAME ON THEN A WARNING BEEPING NOISE. I EVENTUALLY PARKED UP AS I WAS ON A LONG BUSY STREET AND FOUND THAT THE BOTTOM HOSE WAS DANGLING AND NO WATER IN THE RADIATOR. (CLIP STILL ON BUT ABOUT 75 MM IN FROM THE END)
I PUSHED IT BACK ON AND FILLED RADIATOR AND DROVE BACK 30 MILES AT 50MPH THINKING ANY FASTER AND I WOULD BLOW THE PIPE OFF. I GOT MY MATE TO FASTEN THE CLIP ON PROPERLY AS HE HAD A SPECIAL HOSE CLIP TOOL.
THE WARNING LIGHT IS STILL ON AND THE WARNING BEEPER GOES OFF EVERY NOW AND AGAIN.i HAD TO TOP THE RADAITOR UP THIS MORNING WITH ANTI FREEZE. WILL I HAVE TO TAKE IT BACK TO THE MAIN DEALERS TO GET RID OF THE LIGHT? AND I AM ALSO WORRIED I MIGHT HAVE DAMAGED THE ENGINE ALTHOUGH IT SEEMS TO BE RUNNING OK.IS THERE ANY WAY OF CHECKING .
Category: Car
Expert:  Ross replied 2 years ago.
Ross :

and thanks me to help you today. I am a licensed diagnostic and repair technician, I look forward to working with you.

Ross :

There is a risk of engine damage if the engine was driven with no coolant, I would expect you to have noticed a power loss as the engine overheated if it was to the point where damage may occur. Did you notice any running issues during/just prior to noticing the coolant has been lost?

JACUSTOMER-0glqa2ju- :

No the car at the moment runs fine and before the warning light appeared the car was running ok

Ross :

Ok, well if it's running OK now, it is a very good sign. Overheating can cause the cylinder head to warp which will cause head gasket failure, this generally will show signs almost instantly such as misfiring, oil in coolant, coolant in oil, loss of compression etc.. based on what you say I think you have avoided any serious damage.

The best way to check is simply keep an eye on the oil and coolant, if there is a lot of yellow gunk on the oil filler cap its a sign of coolant in the oil which is sure sign of head gasket problem. A small amount of this gunk is normal, especially if you do short trips, this is just moisture in the oil. I would advise you to keep an eye on it over the next month or so in case of delayed gasket failure

JACUSTOMER-0glqa2ju- :

I think the hose was not fitted properly by the body repair shop as they would have had the radiator off to replace the parts I think.there is no other reason the hose would come off. If there is a problem, later with the engine then I believe it would be down to them to stand any damage. It was a my insurers approved repair garage.i will ring them tomorrow and no doubt they will deny it. Thanks input.

Ross :

No problem, if it was the repairers fault they are responsible , its difficult to get them to admit this but ultimately yes, they are liable damage.

I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service. Thank you, Ross.

Expert:  Ross replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.