Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

The radio fuse in my Skoda Octavia blew in early January. It

The radio fuse in my Skoda Octavia blew in early January.
It was replaced around Jan 12th. It went again 2 days later (14th), and then again a week later (22nd) and now yesterday (31st).
I have tried to put in replacement fuse in the correct place in the Fuse Box as per the diagram in my Owners' Manual.
This time, when trying to replace the fuse it sparked and blew immediately, twice.
Are there any ideas that might be suggested as to why this fuse is failing so dramatically, please?
Rhiannon
Category: Car
Expert:  Ross replied 2 years ago.
Ross :

and thanks me to help you today. I am a licensed diagnostic and repair technician, I look forward to working with you.

Customer:

Ross,

Customer:

Can you help me with my enquiry, please?

Ross :

Yes sure. The fuse blowing the way it is sounds like a dead short. This will happen when the positive feed is touching the chassis ground or another negative wire, so it's quite likely that this is a wiring fault. I'm going to being up the wiring diagrams to see what else is on this circuit in case another electrical consumer is causing this

Ross :

Sorry, what year and engine size is your Octavia?

Customer:

The registration is SV 63 VRD. 1160, TDI Octavia

Customer:

It's an estate

Ross :

Thanks. Bare with me while i take a look at the diagrams.

Ross :

It doesn't look like there is much else to cause this other than a wiring problem or the stereo unit it's self. I would recommend removing the stereo unit, disconnecting it and refitting the fuse. If it blows again the problem will not be the stereo.

The positive feed will the need to be checked to see if its going to ground somewhere so the wiring needs to have a continuity test, then trace it back to the fuse box looking break in the wire.