Greg Szczygiel
Greg Szczygiel, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Vehicle technician and electrician currently working in reputable independent garage in UK. Fully acredited ATA diagnostic technician.
82566532

VW Passat Estate 1.8T -97 plate. Car will not turn over on

VW Passat Estate 1.8T -97 plate. Car will not turn over on ignition. All lights come on and headlights are OK no fade. Battery appears fine?
Category: Car
Expert:  Greg Szczygiel replied 2 years ago.
and welcome to Just Answer,my name is ***** ***** I'm looking forward to find the answer to your question.
Looks like starter motor is not engaging, can you hear a click from starter solenoid when key is turned into start position ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No

Is it manual or automatic transmission ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Manual transmission

If the starter motor is not responding to start request, this can be caused by number of electrical faults.
I'm happy to provide you with full troubleshooting instructions to find the fault.
If you are ok to carry out hands on tasks on your vehicle, including voltage checks, please reply so I can give you the answer to your question.
Greg
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK. I have multimetered the battery. Reads 12.6v.

1.Check ground connection between engine block and battery negative terminal, use one of the jump start leads and connect one end to battery negative and the other one to metal part of engine block as close to the starter as possible.
Check starter operation
2.Access starter motor solenoid, check voltage between thin wire and battery negative while key is turned into start position.
If it shows 12 V, replace the starter motor.
3.If there is no voltage at the starter solenoid while key turned, remove the panel under steering wheel to access relay board.
Remove steering wheel cover to access red and black wire at the back of ignition switch.
Check voltage at the wire while key turned.
If 0 v replace ignition switch.
If 12V locate the relay with number 204 in the middle row, last one on the right(your car may not have one ) and check if relay is active.
If there is no relay and 12v is present at the back of ignition switch, investigate open circuit in this wire.
I'm happy to assist you further, if you have any more questions I'm happy to respond.
Greg
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Greg, Thank you help and the answer. I tried the first option-still no ignition. The others are beyond me at the moment. Will try local VW mechanic to help with this problem..

You're welcome, good idea, sometimes electrical problems are not easy and further checks must be done to find the fault.