Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

my ford Granada 2.8 I will not idle on tick over and with

Customer Question

my ford Granada 2.8 I will not idle on tick over and with it being automatic when you are in gear and driving when you come to a stationary position it will not hold its revs, have been told it could be a damaged hose to throttle housing,any ideas as tring to found a parts page that shows you a 2.8 engine. cheers
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

I'd say its most likley to be a cloged idle speed valve or an air / vacuum leak after the fuel distribution unit

The best way to locate a leak is to have the engine running and warm and then spray lighter gas /propane around each joint in turn. If the engine rev's up you've found your leak.

Work your way through each possible joint one at a time and you should find it. I use a slightly flattened piece of brake pipe and some rubber hose from the can of lighter gas to provide a spraying 'wand' and allow a direct blast of gas into each area, especially those difficult to reach with large implements.

It’s also worth getting the fuel pressure checked as if this is low due to a blocked filter or faulty regulator or even a poorly pump will all result in insufficient fuel being delivered to the engine

Might also be worth cleaning out the idle speed control motor / valve as these get clogged up with carbon and some brake cleaner washed through helps free things off.