Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

I have acquired a Renault Scenic which has to run -10

I have acquired a Renault Scenic which has to run for 5-10 minutes every time you start up, before you head off, otherwise it is very hesitant. Apparently the EGR (I think it is) valve has been replaced, but it didn't make a difference.
It is slightly less of problem after the first start up, but not by much.
Can you help please?
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

What engine size / fuel type does it have?

Any warning lights on or prior to this fault?

how do you mean hesitant? missfiring or no power?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It's diesel. I am not sure of engine size as I am not with either the car or the documents at the moment (and it has come from a relative so I haven't had to know), but I think maybe just under 1800.

As far as I know no lights are coming on.

No power I think.

Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..there thanks for your reply..

Ok..unsure as to why the egr was replaced without any sort of prior fault codes being stored..normally with the egr you dont have to replace it..you can remove it and clean it up aswell as the oriface the valve it bolted too..then once all together then retest the car...if your unsure as to if thats been replaced then it maybe worth having that checked out anyway..theres many things that could cause trouble like that..normally the areas to inspect is all the intake/vaccum lines pretty much trace all lines for problems or cracks/splits etc..then check the mass air flow meter..that on the intake tube after the airfilter..sometimes these can go faulty and cause power issues..the other is bad fuel filter..that id say might be worth getting replaced..being 2001 and probably no note of being replaced prior before then it might be best place to start..this is on the understanding there are no warning lights present that maybe require diagnostic testing to further investigate to see what faults codes you have..I do hope this helps

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you that is very helpful.

Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..there...No problem - if you require anything further then just ask anytime..

In the mean time please dont forget to rate my answer above..most appreciated..regards Robert