Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

Saab 03 2.2 tid in current cold weather it will not turn at

Saab 03 2.2 tid in current cold weather it will not turn at all the first time. No glow plug lights coming on not even engine turning! I have to try at least four times (7 this morning before it started to turn and eventually start.
What is the problem?
thanks
Category: Car
Expert:  Ross replied 2 years ago.
Ross :

and thanks me to help you today. I am a licensed diagnostic and repair technician, I look forward to working with you.

Ross :

Have you noticed if the lights on the dashboard dim when you try to start the engine?

Customer:

No I did not. This morning I tried 7 times before the engine came to life and eventually started. after that it start no problem!

Ross :

Ok, Im not worried about the glow plug light, these modern diesel engines will start with very little glow plug assistance so these will only be used below a certain temp. If the engine management decided they are not necessary, they wont come on.

As non starting, it sounds like the starter motor solenoid is not pushing out, and in turn, this does not put power to the starter motor. I suspect its sticking.

Customer:

I thought it might have something to do with starter motor. How difficult is it to change that?

Ross :

Its a fairly simple job on these but access is not great, you need to get to the rear of the engine from the underside so having a lift helps a lot. I wouldn't recommend doing it on stands.

From the under side, remove the engine under tray, you will see the starter motor from underneath at the back of the engine. It will have three bolts holding it to the gearbox bell housing, and two connectors on the back. Removing it is the easy part, getting access without a lift isnt so easy, It is possible to do on drive on ramps though.

Customer:

Great Thanks.

Ross :

No problem. I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service. Thank you, Ross.