Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Our 2004 transit tipper last week got stuck off road.My

Customer Question

Our 2004 transit tipper last week got stuck off road.
My employee reved it violently for about fifteen seconds to try and move it. The van stalled. Then we could not get it started again. It turned over but would not fire. The RAC came out and on their piece of diognistic equipment it came up fuel pump malfunction. I took it to a garage who said the repair was beyond them and they think the timing chain could have come off and I needed a new engine.
Can you help please?
Category: Car
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
I apologize as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do
you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you
like for us to close your question at this time?
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

I'd be surprised if the timing chain has come off to be honest, belts can slip but chains tend not to

I'd 1st suggest doing a compression test across all cylinders to confirm all the pressures are within 10-15 psi of each other as this will confirm the cam timing is correct and the engine is healthy or not

if this is OK then i'd say that the diesel pump may have lost its timing as this is critical to engine starting correctly so I'd say to get a diesel specialist involved to confirm the main pump timing is OK
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
hi

do you still need help?