Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

2000 1.8 MX5 Warm start intermittent fault. Fires on 3 cylinders

2000 1.8 MX5
Warm start intermittent fault. Fires on 3 cylinders for few minutes then picks up. Getting more frequent. Cold starts OK so far. New plugs have changed nothing. 47000 miles on clock. Bought new.
Category: Car
Expert:  Ross replied 2 years ago.
Ross :

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I am a licensed diagnostic and repair technician, I look forward to working with you.

Ross :

This sounds very much like a failing coil pack. The fact this is happening when hot is a common symptom of coil pack problems, they will usually start like this and gradually get worse until it eventually fails. It would certainly be the next part to change, it seems that these suffer from this a lot due to the location of the coil pack at the back of the engine causing it to run hot.