Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

I have a 2010 Hyundai i30 1 diesel. It would not start today

I have a 2010 Hyundai i30 1 diesel. It would not start today so the RAC came out, he put his diagnostics on it and he said it was the chip in the key fob showing an error code fault 1696. He reset it and it started. It ran for a while, now it is intermittent in starting, what can I do to resolve this?
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

The fault code that you listed in regards ***** ***** is Authentication failed or Invalid Transponder detected - the transponder will be the chip in the key..that the reciver coil around the ignition barrel picks up to send a signal to the immobiliser control module to allow the ecu to start the engine..because the problem has started again it needs to be run through diagnostics again to see if the key transponder chip is at fault..if it is then the remedy normally with that type of fault is to replace faulty key or code new key diagnostically to the car..either the dealer or known reputable auto locksmith would be able to carry that out..I do hope this helps