Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

Gear stick on Kia Carens gone floppy won't do anything but

Gear stick on Kia Carens gone floppy won't do anything but flop down. Just went as I parked up
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..

What year is the car?

Had you have problems with getting into gear prior to the fault?

Any recent work done on the car?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
2008
No problems
No recent work
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..there..

Ok..the first obvious check would to check the shift controls to the gearbox it "possible" one of them may have popped off..normally these will be cable operated from the gearstick housing,unlike the older version with the solid bars...so you 'll need to get access or have look at the exterior selector mechanisim on the gearbox to ensure they are still attached..following that you can have someone in the car try going thorugh the gears like you would normally and see if the selector at the gearbox end responds - if not - then the problems likely at the gearstick end within the housing below the gearstick itself in which the other end of the selector cables attach or likely one of the cable has snapped..either way thats normally the first checks that need to be made here before moving on to anything else..I do hope this helps

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can I do any of this myself without a ramp i.e where is the exterior selector mechanism and if its not that how do I get into housing below gearstick itself? That seems to be all boxed in?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
Haven't had an answer to last question sent over 2 hours ago
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..

Exterior selector mechaisim is what the other of the cables are attached to outside the gearbox. - but it should be standard checking you need to get access to the top of the gearbox and check they are still attached..the first step id say would be the gearstick end..pull the gaiter up then the section of plastic trim around the gearstick you can gently prise it off all the way round as its just clipped on..observe the arrows in example pic of interior on 2008 carens...and check the stick itself hasnt become detached..